[ Back ]
- University of Southern Mississippi (Ph.D., 1989, Exercise Physiology)
- Louisiana State University (M.S., 1982, Community Health/Cardiac Rehabilitation)
- Louisiana State University (B.S., 1980, General Studies)
Areas of Research
- Theoretical construct of the disablement process model (how one progresses from pathology to disability) with regard to functional loss with aging and attenuation of functional loss via exercise intervention.
Areas of Teaching
- Introduction to Exercise Science
- Exercise Physiology
- Brown SP, Miller W, Eason J. Exercise Physiology: Basis of Human Movement in Health and Disease. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006.
- Abadie, B.R., Brown, S.P. Physical activity promotes academic achievement and a healthy lifestyle when incorporated into early childhood education. Forum on Public Policy Online, Vol 2010 no 5. (December 2010). http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/vol2010no5/earlychildhood2010no5.html
- Brown SP (Ed.). Fundamentals of Kinesiology. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2013.
- Kavazis AN, Gordon DM, and Brown SP. Reactive oxygen species and skeletal muscle adaptation. In Systems Biology of Free Radicals and Antioxidants. Ismail L (Ed). Springer. pp 3081-3096, 2014.
Works in Progress
- Brown SP (Ed.). Fundamentals of Kinesiology. 2nd Edition. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Publishing, 2016.
- Brown SP, Miller W. Exercise Physiology. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt Publishing, 2017 (expected pub date).
- Brown SP, Smith JW, McAllister M, Joe, LA. Superhero physiology: The case of Captain America. Advances in Physiology Education, 2016 (submission date).
- Brown SP, Twietmeyer G. Transdisciplinarity in kinesiology. Quest, 2016 (submission date).
- Editorial Board Member of The Scientific Pages of Sports Medicine
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Southeastern American College of Sports Medicine
- American Physiological Society (Cardiovascular Physiology Section; Environmental and Exercise Physiology Section; History of Physiology Interest Group)
- Society of Geriatric Cardiology