ki.ne.si.ol.o.gy n . [Greek kinesis]: "the study of the principles of mechanics and anatomy in relation to human movement."
Kinesiology is an integrative discipline that focuses on the various components and processes of human movement related to physical activity and sport, incorporating the scientific areas of anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, biochemistry, biomechanics, psychology, epidemiology, history and sociology, and encompassing such professional fields as clinical exercise physiology, sport pedagogy, athletic training and sport management.
Mississippi State University Department of Kinesiology is housed within the College of Education and features numerous exceptional areas of study for graduate and undergraduate students. Undergraduate students can choose one of four concentrations: Clinical Exercise Physiology, Health Fitness Studies, Sport Studies and Sport Pedagogy. Graduate students can choose Sport Administration, Sport Pedagogy, or Exercise Physiology (clinical exercise physiology or strength and conditioning).
The Department of Kinesiology is in the business of education. But education is not to reform students nor amuse them nor make them expert technicians. It is to unsettle their minds, broaden their horizons, stimulate their intellects, arouse their curiosity, and create in them the ability to think critically. If you are interested in this type of education then stop by for a visit and learn more about our department.
- Mission and Vision
- Department Head's Message
- Current Student Profiles
- Alumni Profiles
Professional Organizations/Resources in Kinesiology
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Society of Biomechanics
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Association
- International federation of Adapted Physical Activity
- International Society for Aging and Physical Activity
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity (NAFAPA)
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport
- Personal Trainer Resources
- The National Center on Physical Activity and Disability
- MSU Health Fitness & Wellness Program
Department of Kinesiology
PO Box 6186
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Front Desk Phone: 662.325.2963