The Disability and Physical Activity Research Group is dedicated to the study of physical activity and its benefits for people with disabilities. This group uses an integrative bio-behavioral approach, endorsing the notion that both disability and physical activity are complex experiences with multi-dimensional consequences.
Primary Associated Faculty
- Dr. Stamatis Agiovlasitis
- Dr. Chih-Chia (J.J.) Chen
- Dr. Harish Chander
- Dr. Zhujun Pan
Associated Doctoral Students
- Poram Choi
- Yonjoong (YJ) Ryuh
Associated Master's Students
- Troy Allred
- Physical Activity Assessment
- Relationships of Physical Activity and Physical Fitness with Health Outcomes
- Physiology of Movement
- Movement Patterns
- Psychology of Physical Activity
- Bertapelli, F., Agiovlasitis, S., Machado, M.R., do Val Roso, R., & Guerra-Junior, G. (Accepted for Publication). Growth charts for Brazilian children with Down syndrome: Birth to 20 years of age. Journal of Epidemiology.
- Love, A., & Agiovlasitis, S. (2016). How is physical activity perceived by adults with Down syndrome? Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 33(3), 253-270. doi: 10.1123/APAQ.2015-0042
- Agiovlasitis, S., Beets, M.W., Lamberth, J., Pitetti, K.H., & Fernhall, B. (2016). Accuracy of a piezoelectric pedometer in persons with and without Down syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 59, 73-79. doi:10.1016/j.ridd.2016.08.003
- Agiovlasitis, S., Sandroff, B.M., & Motl, R.W. (2016). Step-rate cut-points for physical activity intensity in patients with multiple sclerosis: The effect of disability status. Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 361, 95-100. doi:10.1016/j.jns.2015.12.027
- Agiovlasitis, S., McCubbin, J.A., Yun, J., Widrick, J.J., & Pavol, M.J. (2015). Gait characteristics of adults with Down syndrome explain their greater metabolic rate during walking. Gait and Posture, 41(1), 180-185.
- Chen, C.C., Ringenbach, S.D.R. Crews, D., Kulinna, P., & Amazeen, E. (2015). The association between a single bout of moderate physical activity and executive function in young adults with Down syndrome: A preliminary study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 59(7), 589-598.
- Ringenbach, S.D.R., Zimmerman, K., Chen, C.C., Mulvey, G.M., Weeks, D.J., & Michael, H.T. (2014). Adults with Down syndrome performed repetitive movements fast with continuous music cues. Journal of Motor Learning and Development, 2(3), 47-54.
- Chen, C.C., Ringenbach, S.D.R, & Snow, M. (2014). Treadmill Walking Effects on Grip Strength in Young Men with Down Syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 288-293.
- Chen, C.C., Spanò, G., & Edgin, J. (2013). The Impact of Sleep Disruption on Executive Function in Down Syndrome. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 2033-2039.
- Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A.W.A. (2013). The Effects of Aging on the Asymmetry of inter-limb transfer in a Visuo-Motor Task. Experimental Brain Research, 229 (4), 621-633.
- Pan, Z., & Van Gemmert, A. W. A. (2013.) The Direction of Bilateral Transfer Depends on the Performance Parameter. Human Movement Science, 32(5), 1070-1081.