Department of Kinesiology
- The University of Texas at Austin (Ph.D., 2015, Sport Management)
- Seoul National University, South Korea (M.S., 2007, Sport Management)
- Ewha Womans University, South Korea (B.B.A & B.S., 2004, Business Administration & Exercise Science)
My research interest lies in the design and implementation of physical activity programs and events toward maximizing outcomes of consumers. Based on the belief that participating in physical does not automatically generate positive impacts on people or a community, my research focuses on examining 1) how physical activities affects people’s lives and 2) how the programs or events can be implemented to create a positive impact on individuals and host communities. Through my studies, I seek both theoretical and practical insights into the ways that physical activity programs or events empower participants and improve their quality of life in different contexts and in various cultural settings.
Areas of Research
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Program Organization
- Empowerment in Sport
- Gender Issues in Sport
Areas of Teaching
- Sport Management
- Sport Event Management
- Sport Facility Management
- Globalization in Sport
- Qualitative Research Methods in Sport
Articles and Publications
- Lim, S.Y., & Dixon, M.A. (2017). Exploring the capacity of sport for empowering women: A conceptual framework. Associações de Gestão Esportiva (ALGEDE) Journal.
- Chung, K.-S., & Lim, S.Y. (2016). Immigrants’ sport participation: The antecedents and consequences of organisational commitment and ethnic identity amongst Koreans in the U.S. South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education and Recreation.
- Chung, K.-S., Green, B. C., Lim, S. Y., & Harshaw, C. E. (2016). What should NASCAR events include to attract new fans? Developing university students’ fanship. International Journal of Sport Management, 17, 273-293.
- Heere, B., Kim, C.Y., Yoshida, M., Ogura, T., Chung, K., Lim, S. Y., Nakamura, H. (2012). The impact of World Cup 2002 on the bilateral relationship between South Korea and Japan. Journal of Sport Management, 26, 127-142.
- Lim, S. Y., Warner, S., Dixon, M., Kim, C.Y., Berg, B.K., & Newhouse-Bailey, M. (2011). Sport participation across national contexts: A multilevel investigation of individual and systemic influences on adult sport participation. European Sport Management Quarterly, 11, 197-224.
- Green, B. C., Lim, S. Y., Seo, W. J. & Sung, Y. (2010). Effects of cultural exposure through pre-event media. Journal of Sport & Tourism, 15, 89-102.
- North American Society for Sport Management
- Sport Marketing Association
- European Association for Sport Management
- Korean Society for Sport Management
- Korean Alliance for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation